Monday, October 31, 2011

Forcing Bulbs - Part 1 - Cold Treatment

While at a local discount store the other day, I bought some spring bulbs with the intent of forcing them inside.

After finishing my speech on lasagna gardening at the monthly meeting of my garden club, I ask for their suggestions and observations on forcing bulbs.  Everyone agreed that I needed to refrigerate them - however, there was no agreement on how long.

When I googled forcing bulbs, the University of Minnesota Extension Service suggested refrigerating them October 1st for 12-13 weeks.  Click here for their website.  Hit the left arrow to return.

As I didn't get them into cold storage until several weeks late (October 24), I hope they are forgiving.  I chose the refrigerator rather than the garage as the bulbs will not survive if they freeze, and I couldn't guarantee that.

Since I have multiple bulbs, I will mark my calendar for the day after Christmas to start rotating them out of cold storage.  We will see how the experiment goes...



No comments:

Post a Comment