Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Garden Club

Our local garden club meets once a month for two hours.  Our September meeting was yesterday, and we had a seed exchange.  Everyone is very willing to share their ideas, experiences flowers and seeds.

The bad news is that we rarely have a speaker.  So if one wants information, one must be proactive.  I usually ask specific members questions before and after the meeting.  I also ask questions of the general membership at the appropriate time (Roberts Rules of Order reign) during the meeting.  The group publishes a membership booklet so I could call or email another member between meetings with an urgent question.  Since I have been a member for a couple of years, I answer questions, too.

Besides meeting some really nice and knowledgable people about local gardening conditions (Home Depot can't do this), I have seen some beautiful gardens and yards.  They put our own work-in-progress garden to shame.

Each summer the garden club puts on a judged flower show with another group.  It is interesting to see what locals are growing in the display portion and how creative they are in the flower arranging section.

The group also has a yearly seed exchange from members' own plants.  And in the spring, they usually have a plant sale with very reasonable prices.  I usually don't have the patience or conditions for seeds unless they are extremely hardy, but I have been very successful with the plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment